Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Italy Sketchbook 4: The Bargello


So the next four sketches are from the Bargello, one of Florence's oldest public buildings. Above is Michelangelo's Bacchus. There is some awkwardness with the torso, but I really like how I rendered the hand.

I spent an afternoon there and was struck by a number of things. One all of the sculpture's penises have been broken off, which was apparently at the request of the owner.

Second was this statue below, Florence's Victory over Pisa. I had never seen it in an Art History class but really liked this statue.


I did one drawing and wanted to do a wider view of the statue. So I did the next one.


The next one is the statue from behind.


So the next section of this book is from my week in Rome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment