Saturday, June 7, 2014

HMoA Figure Drawing 06/02/14 - Quantae - Long Poses

Quantae- 06/02/14 - Pose 2, Acrylic on Cardboard,  10"x 13.5".

Quantae is always fun to draw, or paint in this circumstance. I am really happy with these three paintings, two of them I think are amazing.

I am starting to really get a handle on what I am able to capture in a 20 minute pose. The greatest strength of these painting is their spontaneity.  It has been a challenge to refine details at my studio while maintaining this strength. Sometimes it feels like trying to contain quicksilver, mercury, when you think you have it, the magic of the brushstroke can be destroyed.

I had managed to get most of the figure in this pose. It was a rather straight forward pose. I moved to the ground of the studio in order to paint this. There is a slight foreshortening going on that is making Quantae look like a giant.

I tend to like large fields of paint filled by dynamic brushwork in a picture. I did that in the white wall and shadow behind the figure. I could maybe work some other colors into the shadow.

Overall,  I am really happy with this painting.

Quantae- 06/02/14 - Pose 1, Acrylic on Cardboard,  10"x 13.5".
This was the first pose of the night. I think I overworked it. I probably could spend a few hours and destroy the overworked areas and recreated it, but the joy of these paintings is next week I will have a new set to play around with.

There is a problem with the areas I retouched and the original work. 

There is a lot of problems with the cushions he is leaning on. They are rendered a little sloppy and are confusing.

I do like how I rendered his face.

Quantae- 06/02/14 - Pose 3, Acrylic on Cardboard,  10"xd13.5".
This was the last pose of the night. It really is looking great. There is a nice balance between the work I was able to capture in the pose and the work I was able to refine in the studio afterwards.

The figure was basically complete in the 20 minute pose. I may have just darkened some of the outlines after adding the background.

I like how I rendered the sheet he was lying on. It looks almost like a cut out while the detail brush lines are very strong. I also like how I used the different colors of paint on it, it creates a nice effect. That is definitely something I will have to do again.

Overall, great night.

This life drawing class occurs on Mondays at 7PM. It is located at the The Honolulu Museum of Art School, formerly the Academy Art Center at Linekona. There is a $10 class fee.

"Rembrandt painted portraits, The Karate Kid painted fences, 
and I paint my toenails. But I’m not a snob, 
I still consider those other two guys to be artists."
~ Jarod Kintz

No comments:

Post a Comment