Monday, February 11, 2013

Tomoko's Desk


An art teacher once said to me, "An artist can make an interesting painting of a brick." In other words, it not the subject, but the technique that makes something interesting to look at.

I thought it would be fun to start sketching random areas on the Kailua High School campus. This is Tamoko, the Speech Pathologist's office, still in flux as she settles into the space.

I started by wanting to catch my painting on the top of the file cabinet. I then put in more and more of the setting. Tomoko just painted the office. I let her use a painting I did for decoration.

I had a lot of fun doing this sketch. It's a little on the illustrative side of things, but it looks really neat. 


“What is real to me is the power of our awareness when we are focused on something beyond ourselves. It is a shaft of light shining in a dark corner. Our ability to shift our perceptions and seek creative alternatives to the conundrums of modernity is in direct proportion to our empathy. Can we imagine, witness, and ultimately feel the suffering of another?”

― Terry Tempest Williams, Finding Beauty in a Broken World


No comments:

Post a Comment