Monday, March 18, 2013

Zwick Studio - 03/18/13 - Sergio - Starting Color.

So last week I had a work meeting and couldn't make it out to the Zwick studio for the painting session. I had begun a canvas with burnt umber the week previous (Regrettably, I cannot find the photos of the day). So after a two week break, this weekend I began putting color into the painting.

At the studio that day, I thought the flesh tone was a little too yellow, but it photographed really nicely in the sunlight.  So I may have to keep it. 

I am having fun with this painting. As I'm painting I keep thinking of Caravaggio because of the pose's prominent shoulder. I chuckle to myself and imagine putting in a giant grape headdress; the idea fades quickly. 

I think i will try and push the Baroque feel to this painting. Push the Chiaroscuro and make the figure a little more defined.

I have a little room to define the anatomy a little more. The chest and the arm resting on the pedestal could use a little punching up. I could also make the shadows in the body darker.

I have three more hours with this painting next week.

Zwick Studio is located at 1041 Maunakea St. Honolulu, HI, 96817. His open studio is on Saturdays from 10am to 1pm. There is a $15 class Fee.  www.williamzwickart.com


"Love is the perfect sum
Of all delight." 
~ Tobias Hume

No comments:

Post a Comment