Tuesday, April 16, 2013

LCC SUN Life Drawing - 04/14/13 - Elaine


So this is the second week I have gone to the drawing class at Leeward Community College. I am enjoying it a lot. It is not all that crowded and the lighting is awesome.

Today the model was Elaine, the same model from Zwick studio's on Saturday.

I had a pretty good morning. My favorite of the morning was this one. There is a really nice feel to the drawing.

I am really enjoying the lighting at this class it is making for some really dramatic poses.

When Elaine took the pose, I was struck with how pretty it was. I was ready to do a drawing over another pose, but instead grabbed a fresh piece of paper and began to draw on it. 

There is not much to this pose or drawing, but it works. I sometimes am caught up in trying to add more and more to a page but this is a good example of simple being elegant. Its just more to contemplate and think over.

The blue is really setting off the Burnt Sienna nicely. 

Mark, the professor who is running the class and teaches at LCC, spent a good amount of time changing a burnt out light, then apologizing for the light not being strong enough. I was so impressed with the lighting there regardless. Mark has a theater background and it shows in the lighting.


I like how this page come out. I like how the figures are interacting with one another. I also really like how I rendered the central face. I applied the oil pastel in a very painterly way. I really love the entire left side of the page.
 

This was the second pose of the morning. I am a little unhappy with this sketch. I will probably take some turpentine to it and try again tomorrow.


The last pose was only 15 minutes, so I decided to do a portrait. I am on the fence about this one. It looks good for 15 minutes but still is not all that great.

The  Leeward Community College Sun Life drawing class is located at the campus Art Room. The class begins at 10:30 and will run until 1:30. There is a $10 class fee. 


“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; 
the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.” 
~ Plato

No comments:

Post a Comment