Saturday, April 20, 2013

Lilly Oncology on Canvas - Tripler Hospital



I went to an Awesome event at Tripler Hospital this weekend called the Lilly Oncology on Canvas.

From their site...

This biennial competition, presented by Lilly Oncology and the National Coalition for Cancer Survivorship (NCCS), invites people from the United States and Puerto Rico diagnosed with any type of cancer - as well as their families, friends, caregivers and healthcare providers - to express, through art and narrative, the life-affirming changes that give their cancer journeys meaning.

I met a whole bunch of powerfully strong people and it is really hard for me not to go into details here. I spent the evening doing portraits of people there. I did four drawings that afternoon. Above is my favorite. I think I will redo the piece in a more controlled circumstances. It has a neat feel to it and  is called "The Three Musketeers."

My mother is a cancer survivor and worked for a few years at the local branch of the American Cancer Society. I can empathize with many of the people there at the event. I was very moved by the feelings of appreciation and gratitude that I received from every one there.  They filled my heart with love and light.

This is such a great event.  





"We are survivors from the moment of diagnosis." 
~ Peter Jennings


"That is the beauty of cancer, it tells you that your days are limited, 
that you could die at any point. 
It is that perspective that allows you to
 live a better life while you're here."
 ~ Shelley Hamlin



"Cancer is not for sissies."
 ~ Suzanne Somers


1 comment:

  1. Aloha Richard,

    WOW, your creativity and ability to apply lines, shapes, shades and composition to create some wonderful pieces that will last as a memoriam for centuries to come.

    Thank you for creating a style of artwork that has an appreciation to the artistic abilities of MAN.

    ReplyDelete