Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Forensic Sculpture - Day 3

End of Day 3 
 Today we added eyelids and the nose. Wow, the sculpture is starting to look like a person.
Added Eye lids
Adding the eyelids was more of a technical challenge then anything else. The skull has information as to their general shape. The connection to the upper lid is determined by a divot in the skull. You can also find the connection point on either side of the eye in the skull. Creating the fold while maintaining the shape of the skull's eye socket was my main objective.

There is a lot of emotion in the eyes of this piece. People have commented to me about it throughout the process.


Adding the nose was a simple process, although like the ears, a lot of the individual information is lost. I was actually surprised by how much information was there. The general shape is determined by an intersection of two bones on the skull; you can also determine the nostril wall size and that gives a good clue about the width of the nose,

This woman had an obvious broken nose. I was struggling with how prominent to make it. I spent a lot of time looking at pictures of women with broken noses. I should step back and say do NOT google "Women with broken noses" on Google image search. I was horrified after doing that and quickly changed it to "Women with healed broken noses."

I was told that tomorrow is the "magic day" where the sculpture begin to take on a life of its own. I can already see it beginning here and I am really excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment