Tuesday, February 26, 2013

HMoA Figure Drawing 02/27/13 - Sergio


Monday was art class at the Honolulu Art Museum and the model was Sergio. And as always, he was a blast to draw.

Above is my favorite of the night. I think I will clean up the image with some thinner, but I think this is such an awesome drawing. Sergio says he was trying to make it look like he was paddling a boat, but I think it looks more like a laborer pulling a heavy weight. I really like how I captured the tension in his arms.

I was sitting low on this pose. So there is a neat foreshortening on the legs. I did manage to do a lot in the 20-minute pose.



This was the 10-minute and the two 5-minutes. I used a page from the last time Sergio modeled; it was the 10-minute page and the two 5-minute poses. I do like how this page is progressing. I may scrape out a section and use it for a 20-minute pose in the future.

In life, you must keep your options open to creativity.


This was the second of the twenty minute poses. I was tempted to move as he took the pose. I tend not to like reclining poses. I decided to draw it because there were some really nice shadows on his back. This page is working pretty well with the gestures in the left corner.


This was the last pose of the night. Sergio was posing with his robe slung over his shoulder.

I rendered the figure a little differently then I normally do. I used the color black to do some of the outlines and it is creating some nice parts. I do like what I did with the shadows in this pose.

I especially like the arm resting on his hip. There is a nice flatness to the shape, though it still defines the form very well.

This life drawing class is on Monday at 7PM. It is located at the The Honolulu Museum of Art School, formerly the Academy Art Center at Linekona. There is a $10 class fee.

"Great art picks up where nature ends.” 
~Marc Chagall

No comments:

Post a Comment